Sunday, May 19, 2013

Stuck on the Coupon Thing.....

So I am stuck on the coupon thing.  I think that couponing has gotten a bad rap or is made to be so complicated that the average person doesn't understand how it works or how it can help.  I wantto dispel   some coupon myths.  Try to stay with me here..... I think it will clear some things up a bit.  

1.  MYTH #1:  They never have coupons for what I use

Really? Never? I'm sorry, but I don't believe you.  Maybe you prefer Hunt's Ketchup over Heinz or Skippy peanut butter over Peter Pan peanut butter, but there are ALWAYS ways to save with coupons even if your brand is represented in your pile of lovely, money saving, goodness.  I also think that it depends on how serious you are about saving money.  I am not the person who buys 952 tubes of toothpaste just because I can get them for free, but I do pay attention and only buy on sale and with a coupon.  We have tried other brands because of couponing and you know what??? We survived.  If you are really trying to save some serious money, like we are right now, some changes are necessary. Plus, if the whole couponing experience is made easier, you are more likely to find coupons that fit your family's preferences. You don't just have do clip coupons out of the Sunday paper now.  You can get online and print them at home, you can use your smart phone, heck you can even use the in store ad. Look around, check on the web and be willing to try new things.  TRUST ME!!!

2.  MYTH #2:  It takes up too much time to clip coupons

I think I've beat a dead horse on this issue.  Couponing does not have to keep you from Sunday dinner with your in laws.  Unless you want it to.  There are so many programs out there that will help you organize your grocery lists and match your local coupons with that list, there is no excuse not to.  Seriously, I have 3 of our 7 children left at home, plus my husband's 94 year old grandmother to tend to.  I DON'T HAVE SPARE TIME EITHER!!  But I make it a priority.  It's important to my family. 

3.  MYTH #3:  You don't really save that much

Um.....Uh huh!  My mom taught me to write your check for the amount that the groceries would have been had you not used coupons and put the difference in savings.  This can help you to save for a vacation, pay down debt, save for a like new car or put away a chunk of money for something else your little heart desires.  I don't write checks any more and have honestly gotten out of the habit of getting the extra money, but in the past when I have done this religiously, we have saved up a TON!  We used the money several years ago, to fund our cruise vacation.  The possibilities are endless.  You aren't going to save $300 every time you go shopping, but every little bit counts.  

4.  MYTH #4:  I don't have the room in my house to store all of that stuff

Yeah.  Me either.  I don't have a bunker in my basement of all of the items that I will never use, but just had to buy with my coupons.  Now, don't hear me say that it is a bad thing to have a ton stored or to give away items that you got for nothing or next to nothing.  I think that's fabulous.  I just don't have the space.  Plus, we move a ton.  It's not practical for my family.  We have one shelf in our pantry that has our "extra" food.  Things that I know we will use and use often, have a home on that shelf.  I've said before that I don't like to shop once a month.  Part of that is because I don't have a ton of extra room in our house.  Listen, if you have the room to store food for a small city in the event of a large meteor hitting the earth, ROCK ON WITH YOUR BAD SELF.  But don't let lack of space be a reason to not use coupons to save money.

I think those are the big one's that I hear.  What are some reason's you don't coupon? 

No comments:

Post a Comment