Thursday, May 23, 2013

Are they yours?

I get this comment.  A LOT.  Not because my children don't look like me, in fact, despite them being adopted, they look quite a bit like my husband and myself, but because people are insensitive, uncultured and stupid.  Not really.  That is my momma bear talking.  Really, I think that people are curious and just don't know how to ask the questions.  It does anger me though.  To my core.  I have thought of many answers to this question.  Most of them sassy and not very nice. 

"ARE THEY YOURS?"

"No.  I got them in aisle #3.  They are on special."

"No.  They are my neighbors kids.  I kidnapped them.  Shhh."

"{Looking in the cart/at my children} OMG!  Where did these kids come from???? SECURITY!!!"

"They are mine for the day.  I rented them to pick up guys."

I want people to know that I realize they mean well.  I really do try to be sensitive to the fact that they just want to know.  Adoption is interesting.  To those who have adopted as well as to those who have not.  But it's hurtful.  Really hurtful.  It's like asking a parent with a child that has special needs, what's WRONG with them?  Hurtful. 

People ask if I talk to their REAL mother, know their REAL mother, or any other fill in the blank question that includes the words REAL MOTHER.  Ahem.....I am not imaginary folks.  I want to shout from the rooftops when someone asks me those questions that, I AM THE ONE WHO CLEANS UP THEIR PUKE, WIPES THEIR NOSES AND MAKES SURE THEY HAVE WHAT THEY NEED.  I AM their real mother.  

I can only imagine the pain and aguish that the three women who gave birth to our 7 children feel knowing that I have a part in their child's lives or am raising their biological children.  I know from being a step child myself, that there is enough love to go around. In the movie, Step Mom, the biological mother is dying of cancer and comes to this realization.  This of course, is easier said than done.  

In moments of clarity, I am so grateful to the women who gave birth to my children.  I love them to pieces and would do anything for any of them.  I say I got the best of both worlds; beautiful children to love and no stretch marks.  God knew exactly the children to give us.  God knows the exact path our family needed to take.  

No comments:

Post a Comment