Sunday, August 4, 2013

Update Weeks 8, 9, Oh who am I kidding....I don't remember

So you all may have been wondering where on earth I ran off to.  I haven't done a weekly update in quite a while.  Sorry!  I have been working my patutuie off!!!

I was finishing up one class, starting another and getting a promotion at my main job.  Need less to say, I have been HOPIN'!!!

The good news is, we are still making progress.  We have paid off another $1000 worth of debt and put some money away in savings.  That may not seem like a ton given it has been a few weeks since an update, but keep in mind, it is back to school season.  And holy moly can school supplies get expensive. We use coupons and try to buy in bulk when we can, so that most definitely helps.  But there are still things that we feel strongly about buying quality and that does not always mean the cheapest. 

Shoes are one of these examples.  Again, we buy on sale and use coupons when we can, but buying the absolute cheapest shoes is not always smart or money wise.  We have had seasons where we have had to buy each of the kiddos 2 or 3 pairs of shoes from Target or Walmart where one pair from Famous Footwear or Land's End would have been cheaper in the long run.

This can be frustrating when you are spending good money on shoes, only to have to buy them again in a month.  We spend anywhere from $20-30 for a pair of shoes now.  That is much better than $10 or $15 a piece only to have to replace them in a month.  You end up spending more that way.

Any way.....We are still moving forward.  We have also decided to save for a vacation for my husband and I.  This was a long conversation over several months.  We realize that we are paying off debt.  Our thought process is that we need time away also.  In order for us to be motivated, {for most people to be motivated} is to have something to look forward to.  In our case it's a cruise.  We are excited!!!!  We can plan ahead and stay on budget.  Most importantly, we don't have to add more debt to have a good time.  

This will set back a little of the debt payoff, but in the end, like the shoes, it will help us and be more cost efficient in the long run.  It's a way for us to recharge half way through the first year of our journey.  

I promise to keep up.  I am on a pretty good schedule now, so it should be easier!!!

Thanks for reading.  Have a great week. 



No comments:

Post a Comment